It is true, in some markets, there are a ton of photographers. But, that doesn’t mean all hope is lost. Consider all of the factors before thinking that you can’t compete because the market is over saturated. In any city there are a variety of photographers; some are specialize in a certain type of portrait or wedding and there are photographers for every budget.
The key to landing clients when there is a lot of competition in your area, is your ability to stand out and offer them something unique.
There are many ways to do this:
- Amazing customer service
- Unique products
- A specific style of photography
- Unique studio set ups or locations
- Great pricing structure, payment plans, value-add incentives
- Fast turn around
- Extra bonus gifts with orders
- Referral program
- Creating a unique experience during the photo shoot
- Offering something that clients can not DIY
- Specializing in a specific niche
I am sure you can think of many more ways to stand out. Your challenge today is to look at your business from a potential client’s perspective and also try to have some friends help you do this. What can you add/take away/change about your business to entice more people to become your clients and stick with you for years to come?
If you need more motivation on this topic, consider reading the book Purple Cow by Seth Godin. It is packed full of inspiration to help your business stand out.